Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Say it with me: "Choral Reading Post"

Unlike the some of the other subjects (or strands) we cover in TE 401/402, almost everything in this class is new to me. I have taken some writing courses and literature classes, but I have never focused solely on “literacy” and the methods to teach it. In fact, all I really remember about my elementary literacy classes is how much I disliked the subject. As a result, participating in activities like the “fishbowl discussion” and “choral reading” provide a sampling of interesting teaching methods that I have did not experience as a student. Although I thought our version of the fishbowl was certainly a refreshing way to discuss different readings, I really enjoyed our choral reading activity. Before this course, I had no idea that choral reading could be used as a tool to promote reading fluency. However, it seemed that a lot of elementary classrooms, especially those in the lower grades, were composed of students who frequently made announcements, gave directions, or read cooperatively with each other or with the teacher. Certainly, this behavior must stem from choral reading activities as well as a natural desire on the part of the students. For me, the choral reading activity was fun. I often hear that school should be more about learning than fun, but if the activity is enjoyable, students will feel more engaged and willing to participate. Unlike simple, but popular, activities, such as “popcorn reading,” choral reading allows students to work together and may support social development and confidence reading or speaking. In all, the activity was a lot of fun and helped me learn a new activity for my classroom.

No comments: