Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Article

I read one of the articles for class and its topic was book talks in elementary classrooms.
I really enjoyed this article because it presented research to support something that i want to incorporate in my future classroom.
I really think that it is important for children of all ages to be able to actually discuss books that they read, rather than answering questions on a worksheet about "comprehension" or "vocabulary". through discussion, children are more likely to really understand and be able to recall information, ideas, and other things covered during literacy.
I think what is most important about the benefits of book talks is that they can open the way for discussion of really tough issues. Books help to open up people's minds to think about tougher issues, discussions of these books can [hopefully] provide a segway for teachers to really help to develop students into future citizens that will embrace a spirit of diversity in their world.

1 comment:

Ms. Oswald said...

I really like the idea of book talks because i think students do need to discuss the books that they are reading.