Wednesday, February 6, 2008

In thinking about emergant literacy and "literacy" in technology, i feel as though, despite that they are similar, they are really different ideas.
With emergant literacy, i feel like there's a lot of ways for students to learn and sooooo much to help them with (activities, DI, etc). whereas with technology, a lot of knowing how to do it revolves around expiramenting with new technologies. for example, i started blogging when i was in middle school, so i have had a lot of experience with it, whereas, i hadnt used a bookmarking site (like delicious) until last year, and after playing around with it, i got the hang of it. i was instructed in how to use it (through the te technology class), but i didnt 'get' it until i played around with it fora while. even in that class, we talked a lot about how expiramentation is the best way to 'teach' with new techs.
so i feel like although both literacy and tech literacy take time to adjust and learn with, the ways in which they are learned are strikingly different (at least in my mind), but i could be wrong....

2 comments:

Ms. Oswald said...

Yeah I definitely agree, I think that at least for us learning technology has been more exploration. Where as literacy was more of a direct instruction kind of thing.

Mr. Byxbe said...

I also agree with your thoughts on the differences in learning technology and learning how to read/write fluently. Like you said in your comment on my blog, in helps to experiment with different sorts of technology. For a long time, it was a personal choice to stay away from all of it. And now, I think I'm paying for it. I can't do much more with a computer besides search the web and type things. Really, all a computer is to me is a fancy typewriter. But, I'm working on changing that...slowly.