Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Today's Reading

I read chapter 2 for today's class. The chapter discusses the different parts of the reading and writing processes. What interested me most was the 5 stages in reading.
  1. The first stage is pre-reading, where students preview the text, set goals for their reading, and make connections.
  2. The second stage is reading, where the students do the actual reading where they use many skills like making predictions and take notes while reading.
  3. The third stage is responding. In this stage students either write in a reading log or take place in a discussion.
  4. The forth stage is exploring where students reread the text and continue to make more connections.
  5. The final stage is applying where students do a project on the book, or connect with other books, and mainly reflect on the reading process.
I find this interesting because this is how most literacy circles are formed in the classrooms that I have been in, have been formed. I also find this interesting because this is how many reading strategies are structured, such PQ3(or4)R, where the students preview the text and make predictions and then read and then review.

No comments: