For class, I read the applegate article which focused on different types of 'problem' comprehenders. I'm not going to lie, i saw a little bit of myself in a few of these groupings....
I remember in high school i was very much a literalist(someone who believes that all answers are in the text) - i hated questions that didnt have direct answers in the books, because i coudlnt find them or they didnt make sense to me. I also sometimes am a quiz contestant (background experience is taken over text, as text is almost disregarded), but i typically try to relate it a bit more to the text than not. i used to be quite the politician (telling teachers what thye wanted to hear), but i feel like that is all a part of the 'game' of school. everyone does that at some point or another in their schooling, and often it is just to get teachers 'off their back'.
i feel like all students have qualities of these comprehenders in them, it is just a matter of the situation and the readings in question. some topics i am more comfortable with because they 'hook up' with me more, and i am more willing to talk about them. other topics i have no interest in and therefore dont comprehend quite as well.
i suppose it will help me to recognize when i am exhibiting these patterns of thinking and discussing to know how to stop it and re-formulate my actions and thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah when my group talked about the different kinds of readers I definitely saw myself in the literalist perspective as well. I think its good that we can identify with our kids because we know how the kids are thinking. We also know what helped us get our work done.
Post a Comment